Unburied: Adding real clothing and sculpted a new base



Here is how I made the Unburied tattered clothing.

I cut/rip up an old t-shirt to fit, then transferred the cloth to cardboard and cut out a pattern to make cutting future pieces faster. I put on some rubber gloves, made a grungy base color in a bowl with some craft paints, and rubbed the t-shirt in the bowl until all the fabric was painted. I then laid out the t-shirt flat on a piece of cardboard to dry. I finished up the paint job with some blood splatters and black nasty splatter using an old toothbrush.I take the x-acto knive, and cut holes or fray edges too.

The fabric dries fairly stiff, and I glue it to the painted sculpture. After I get some creases/folds in the place I like them, I hit the fabric with some fabric stiffener. I take the hairdryer to it to dry it almost instantly, and BAM, perfect clothing. I’m thinking of including the fabric with the kit, it’s so much more fun than just gluing and painting up 4 pieces of resin that make up his shorts.


The new base has been molded and cast up. It fits his feet better and is a bit more dynamic. The rocks look like they are giving way under his immense weight.


Here is the body, it is in 5 parts, and already anchored together by epoxy. This shot does not include the parts of the head or side mouth, but you get the idea.




“Diablo III: Fallen Shaman” sneak peek

Yes, another upcoming Diablo III character. I swear, I’ll stop after this one.

This is the Shaman Fallen, read more about him here. I’m pretty much doing this exact pose.

fallen, diablo III

So here is his head and horns. I’ll save the rest for another day.




“Diablo III: Unburied” sculpture wins an award!

How crazy is this, I entered the “Diablo III: Unburied” in the Marin County Fair this year and I won first place! Now, this isn’t your regular fair. Oh no… the Creature and Model competition is judged by the guys who formed Industrial Light and Magic (now known as Kerner Optical)!!

I’m completely floored.

Getting this thing to a state where it was showable was a crazy adventure in itself. I didn’t even have time to cast up the tattered clothes he wears. I had to make a base from scratch. Leading up to the submission day, I had bought and studied the ModelMania DVDs to learn airbrushing.I spent 3 hours airbrushing this thing (the first thing I ever painted) the night before I had to submit it. Then, at 3:30 am, I go to put a wash on the guy to bring out all the painting I had done and I STAINED THE WHOLE THING. I just sat and looked at it, realized I had not put a coat of Dullcoate on it at all, and realized I had to keep going. It totally sucked, but there was nothing to do but keep going.

Anyway, here are some pics of  the piece. I will be casting another version, after I make molds of the new base I sculpted, that will have real cloth for the tunic. But I am also scuplting clothes that can be molded and cast, and added to the sculpture, since fabric is another step some might not want to deal with. I want to redo the entire paint job too, add mottling, make his mouth shiny like it is wet, etc.

I want to thank everyone at the Clubhouse and the Shiflett Brothers forum for giving me so much information, and to Rey Hernandez, who is one of the nicest guys I’ve been able to meet from the boards.

I’ll update pics of the new base and a version of the sculpt with real clothing that I’ve made grungy.






Unburied update: casting parts, making a base

Here is another update to the Unburied.

Full shot

Ok, so here’s our zombie dude, sporting some clothes. The white leg is a actually the resin cast of the leg. The perspective is off, the guy is really 9″ tall



Hand detail

To save some time, I am going to make a mold of  the left arm, make a cast in wax, cut off the spikey ball, flip it 180 degrees and reattach to the bicep. Maybe it will save time. Maybe not.


Give me a kiss

Here is the wax tongue on top, and a cast.


Spinal column

His back in the process of being detailed.


Right-Side skull


Left-side skull

This skull has a little helmet, I need to add another skull to the right yet… here you can also see how the  mouth piece is cast separately and fits inside.

Right Leg detail


Left leg details



How the head is assembled


Mouth Castings

So, the interesting thing that I discovered along the way was how to make the teeth sturdy. I sculpted the original teeth with ends of party toothpicks. When I went to cast, the teeth would break out almost all the time when I pulled the resin out of the mold. Then it hit me… put toothpicks into the silicone mold before I pour the resin. BAM! Perfect casts, and when you paint the teeth, you don’t have to worry about breaking them off. Oh, and they stay nice and pointy too, unlike the resin counterparts.


Experimenting with a base

I am making a simple stone base, with two big slabs from a ruins, and a two-piece skull. These pieces are cast separately so each diorama can be custom built. The ornate piece is actually molding I found at a craft store, more for dollhouses I think, that I just added to the clay slab.


Things I need to improve upon

  • Skull anatomy
  • More dynamic pose
  • Dynamic clothing folds
  • Feet




Diablo III sculpture: Unburied


I roughed this guy out last night… he’s a bad guy from the upcoming video game, Diablo III. Called “The Unburied”…”Being born out of pits of human misery, these beings feed on human suffering. Wherever bodies are dumped together unceremoniously, the unburied may rise.”

This hulking brute is done with Fuse, right from the start. I think I am going to start my sculpts with clay or sculpey from now on, then switch to wax with wastemolds. I am having a hard time getting organic shapes, like folds, etc right from wax, so I need to practice more, especially before Diablo 3 comes out.

I’ll put in a lot more details as I go, refine, fix the skull sizes and shapes, etc.